Sunday, December 2, 2012

Sharon Gammell

My dear beloved friend Sharon Gammell is dying.

I wish I didn't have to type that.

I wish that it were not true.

It is true, though.

The last time I talked to Sharon was in October, and she gave me some advise when I emailed her for help. She did for me quite frequently.

After my sweet Rommy bear died, she was there for me and made the days easier for me.

Sharon sold Thayer's Historic Bed & Breakfast last year. At the time I was a little surprised at her decision. Now though, I think I understand.

Sharon moved to Belgrade, Minnesota, where she primarily focused on doing psychic readings from her website.

Around the last week in October, early November, I had a bad feeling about her and went to post on her facebook wall. Then a friend of hers that she had an appointment for a psychic reading for emailed me, concerned because Sharon missed their appointment, and she wasn't answering her phone. That is NOT like Sharon at all, and so I tried calling her too. She didn't answer me either.

I then contacted Sharon's sister in law, Misty - thinking she'd know what was happening, or who I could call or check with to see what was going on.

It was then I found out that Sharon (who lives alone), had fallen, and was unable to get up.  She layed where she fell for over 13 hours before someone found her.

She spent a month in the hospital. It was then discovered that Sharon has been quite ill for some time and told no one. It is unclear if she was receiving a doctors care or not, but its looking like she hasn't been.

Her kidneys had begun to fail. That is now under control.

Her liver is failing. She needs a transplant. She has Cirrhosis of the Liver.

She was recently moved to a nursing home to rehab so she could go home.

Friday I heard that Sharon had become incoherent and was refusing to take the medication.

I asked her sister if Sharon had any type of Medical Directive or Living Will.

She didn't know.

I asked if Sharon had a lawyer.

She didn't know that either, Sharon refused to answer any of their questions on the topic.

Sharon's late husband Warren Gammell did have a son, Brad, who is an attorney. No one had contacted him or thought to do so, probably because they were all so upset.

So I took it upon myself to find the guy.

Found  him in Texas, and he has his own law office.

I contacted him, and put him in touch with Sharon's brother.

By Friday night, he had taken the first plane from Texas to Minnesota.

I then contacted Patricia and Corey, two ladies John and I acted with in the Murder Mysteries that Sharon use to host. They were very grateful to know what was happening also.

Sharon didn't want to make anyone upset, worry or panic. Which is evidently why she told no one of how she was doing.

The only thing keeping Sharon alive is dialysis.

Should she pull through this the doctors give her no more than 6 months to live.

She is back in ICU at St. Cloud hospital in Minnesota.

I love her so much and have been so blessed having her in my life for the last 10 years.

3 comments:

  1. Hi April. Thank you for your post! Sharon was my friend too, for 20 years. Hard to believe it was that long! I appreciate you going the extra mile to help Sharon. She had wonderful friends on her side! :) So difficult to believe she has passed.
    Sincerely, Kimberly Dawson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi April,
    I'm so glad Sharon had so many wonderful, caring friends! She and I had been friends for 20 years. It's hard to believe she's passed. I'm glad you knew who to contact. If it weren't for seeing Misty's postings on Facebook, I wouldn't know what had happened. I'm so thankful for Misty! And now, thankful for you! :)
    Much love to you and all of Sharon's friends and family!
    --Kimberly Dawson

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi April,
    I'm so glad Sharon had so many wonderful, caring friends! She and I had been friends for 20 years. It's hard to believe she's passed. I'm glad you knew who to contact. If it weren't for seeing Misty's postings on Facebook, I wouldn't know what had happened. I'm so thankful for Misty! And now, thankful for you! :)
    Much love to you and all of Sharon's friends and family!
    --Kimberly Dawson

    ReplyDelete

Vehicles of Osbourne

 I am going to give you a brief overview of the vehicles my husband John and I own. (in no specific order) 2002 Pontiac Trans Am Firehawk - ...